Ottawa, November 26, 2018 – CBIE is pleased to announce the appointment of a new chair of the board of directors, Dr. Robert Summerby-Murray, President of Saint Mary’s University. Dr. Summerby-Murray was first appointed to the board in January 2018, has served on the Executive Committee and was chair of the Governance Committee.
“Dr. Rob Summerby-Murray is known as a Canadian leader in international education,” said Dr. David Ross, Past Board Chair. “Under his tenure, Saint Mary’s University has distinguished itself as one of Canada’s most globally-connected universities. His experience spearheading strong partnerships with post-secondary institutions around the world and his personal commitment to global outreach will be valuable assets to CBIE.”
Born in Christchurch, New Zealand, Dr. Summerby-Murray received his PhD in Geography from the University of Toronto in 1992. An award-winning educator, Dr. Summerby-Murray is an experienced academic administrator and post-secondary advocate. He participates on public and private boards, including Junior Achievement of Nova Scotia, the Business-Education Council and the Advisory Council for the Order of Nova Scotia. In May 2018, he was named one of Atlantic Canada Business Magazine’s Top 50 CEOs.
“I am looking forward to working with Dr. Summerby-Murray over the next couple of years in his new role as board chair,” said Larissa Bezo, Interim President and CEO, CBIE. “He brings a great depth of experience that will offer new insights into the benefits and challenges of internationalization and position us well as we advocate for global education for more young Canadians.”
“I am truly delighted to assume the role of CBIE board chair,” said. Dr. Summerby-Murray. “I look forward to working with CBIE’s executive team and leading their board, furthering efforts to put Canada’s global engagement challenge on the agendas of government and the private sector, and to advancing the role of young people in meeting that challenge.”
The Canadian Bureau for International Education is the national organization dedicated to the internationalization of education and the expansion of educational partnerships between Canada and countries around the globe. CBIE’s pan-Canadian membership comprises 150 colleges, institutes, cégeps, universities, school boards and language schools.
613-237-4830 ext. 341
University Communications Officer
CBIE 2019 Board of Directors
- Chair: Robert Summerby-Murray, President, Saint Mary’s University
- Past Chair: David Ross, President and CEO, SAIT
- Treasurer: Roy Daykin, Chief Financial Officer and Vice President Corporate Services, SAIT
- Livia Castellanos, Associate Vice-President (International) & Chief International Officer, UR International, University of Regina
- Patricia Gartland, Superintendent of Schools, School District No. 43 (Coquitlam)
- Sean Kennedy, Vice-President, Student and External Relations, Niagara College
- Guy Lefebvre, Vice-recteur aux relations internationales et à la Francophonie, Université de Montréal
- Jean-Paul Loyer, Directeur général / Direction générale de la gestion stratégique de l’effectif étudiant, Université de Moncton
- Kathy O’Brien, Senior Vice President, Strategy, Communications and Advancement, St. Lawrence College
- Carolyn Russell, Director, Student Recruitment and Global Engagement, University of Victoria
- Anver Saloojee, Assistant Vice President, International, Ryerson University
- Sylvain St-Amand, Directeur du Service des relations internationales, Université du Québec à Montréal
- Jerry Wang, Associate Director, International Relations, University of Prince Edward Island
- Daniel Weeks, President and Vice-Chancellor, UNBC
- Geoff Wilmshurst, Vice President Partnerships, Camosun College
Comments are closed.