Call for Nominations Now Closed
CBIE honours the recipients of our Excellence Awards which recognize outstanding achievement in the field of international education in a range of specialties.
All recipients must be presently or formerly employed at a CBIE member institution unless otherwise stated.
Awarded to an individual whose contributions to and support for international education is recognized and highly valued. This outstanding individual personifies CBIE’s central value proposition: “Expertise. Knowledge. Opportunity. Leadership”.
NOTE: This Award is typically made by the Board of Directors. Nominations are not accepted for this Award. However the Board is interested in hearing from members who wish to suggest a possible recipient.
Member Emeritus Award
Designation of an individual to recognize long-term service and support for CBIE as they retire from the field.
- Provided longstanding and unstinting voluntary service to CBIE through Board membership, task force contributions, Professional Learning Community leadership, professional development activities, or project implementation
- Or provided similar service in international education at the national level in some other capacity
- An enthusiastic supporter and advocate of CBIE’s mission, mandate, and activities
- Service has occurred over a minimum of 10 years;
- Designation upon retirement from the field (or within 12 months of retirement).
- Note: May be offered posthumously.
Awarded to an individual or group for bringing cutting-edge knowledge to the field of international education.
- An individual or group who have produced leading-edge research on a topical issue in international education that informs practice
- Research must be of outstanding quality.
- Note: At the discretion of the Board of Directors, this award may be offered without a formal nomination and/or to someone outside of a member institution.
Board of Directors Leadership Award
Awarded to an individual who has demonstrated outstanding leadership in the field of international education.
- An individual who has demonstrated exceptional leadership in internationalizing Canadian education and/or advancing the international education profession at the national or international level;
- Impact on internationalization goes beyond the home institution/school, involves and motivates other individuals and institutions;
- Demonstrates creativity with available resources or in finding new resources;
- Occupies a leadership role such as department or faculty head, program or student services director; and
- Evidence of sustained leadership with a minimum of 10 years in the field, at mid-career or later.
Awarded to a team or individual to recognize innovation and excellence in design, planning, implementation and management of high quality endeavours in international education, with programming that focuses on academic, extracurricular, capacity-building and/or learning abroad.
- An endeavour or program in international education developed to meet a specific long-term internationalization goal/need;
- Evidence of planning and ongoing assessment of impact of activities and initiatives
- Evidence of positive change in students, staff, administration, faculty
- Illustrates a forward-thinking and innovative vision in the area of focus
- Demonstrates creativity with available resources that has been / can be translated into a sustainable opportunity
North Star Award
Awarded to a new professional who has shown extraordinary promise in the field of international education.
- Although relatively new to the field the individual has shown leadership, commitment and high ethical standards in their role in international education
- Led or facilitated new and innovative initiatives in international education at his/her institution or in professional organizations
New World Award
Awarded to a Canadian student or group of students in order to recognize those who contribute in a positive way to internationalization of their campus community.
- Has/Have made a noteworthy contribution to the internationalization of campus life, or has spearheaded a new initiative or demonstrated exceptional leadership of ongoing international initiatives
- Demonstrates behaviour/attitude that resonates with good global citizenship and building a better world
- Combines leadership skills with strong academic performance
- Taking a full-time course of study in Canada in a program of at least one academic year in length
Elizabeth Paterson Award
Awarded to an international student or group of students in order to recognize those who contribute in a positive way to internationalization of their campus community.
- Has/Have made a noteworthy contribution to the internationalization of campus life; OR has spearheaded a new initiative or demonstrated exceptional leadership of ongoing international initiatives;
- Demonstrates behaviour/attitude that resonates with good global citizenship and building a better world;
- Combines leadership skills with strong academic performance; and
- Taking a full-time course of study in Canada.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Award *NEW*
Awarded to an individual, a work team, or a campus group whose behaviour or initiatives demonstrate significant contributions toward enhancing equity, diversity and inclusion through international education.
- An individual, a work team, or a campus group who has demonstrated significant contributions via behaviour, research, initiatives or community engagement that fosters equity, diversity and inclusion through international education.
NOTE: At the discretion of the Board of Directors, this award may be offered without a formal nomination and/or to someone outside of a member institution.