CBIE is pleased to announce the appointment of a new Chair of the Board of Directors, Dr. Deborah Saucier, President and Vice-Chancellor of Vancouver Island University. Dr. Saucier was first appointed to the Board as Chair Designate in January 2022. In this capacity, she served on the Executive Committee and chaired the Board’s Governance Committee.
“Dr. Saucier is known as a leader in making education more accessible, more inclusive and more deeply rooted in community,” said Ajay Patel, Past Board Chair. “Her leadership and commitment to advancing reconciliation on campus and in academia align with CBIE’s commitment to promoting social justice and advancing the values of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, Indigeneity, Anti-Racism, and Intersectionality. On behalf of the Board, I am delighted to welcome Dr. Saucier as our new Chair; we look forward to benefitting from her experience and insights in the years ahead.”
Born in Saskatoon, Dr. Saucier is a member of the Métis Nation of Alberta. Dr. Saucier holds a Ph.D. in psychology from the University of Western Ontario and a BA and MSc in psychology from the University of Victoria. She received her International Baccalaureate diploma from the Lester B. Pearson College of the Pacific in Metchosin, near Victoria. Prior to joining VIU in 2019, Dr. Saucier was President of MacEwan University in Edmonton and Provost and Academic Vice-President of the University of Ontario Institute of Technology. Dr. Saucier is a distinguished researcher in both psychology and neuroscience. Dr. Saucier is also the author of two books on psychology and an advocate for women in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
“Dr. Saucier is a passionate leader in post-secondary education whose core values and leadership experience will help to guide CBIE in its continued work in building a sustainable and inclusive international education sector in Canada. I look forward to working with Deborah in her new role as CBIE’s Board Chair as we seek to support our member institutions in advancing their global engagement efforts in the years ahead,” said Larissa Bezo, President and Chief Executive Officer of CBIE.
“International education has a critical role to play in building global understanding, increasing inclusion and diversity and contributing to Canada’s prosperity. I look forward to the work ahead to advance CBIE’s role in elevating international education here in Canada and around the world,” said Dr. Deborah Saucier.
The Canadian Bureau for International Education is the national organization dedicated to the internationalization of education and the expansion of educational partnerships between Canada and countries around the globe. As the voice of Canada’s international education sector, CBIE’s pan-Canadian membership comprises 135+ colleges, institutes, cégeps, universities, school boards and language schools.
CBIE 2023 Board of Directors
- Chair: Deborah Saucier, President and Vice-Chancellor, Vancouver Island University
- Past Chair: Ajay Patel, President and CEO, Vancouver Community College
- Treasurer: Roy Daykin, Chief Financial Officer and Vice President Corporate Services, SAIT
- Valérie Amiraux, Vice-rectrice aux partenariats communautaires et internationaux, Université de Montréal
- Shelley Aylesworth-Spink, Vice President, International Education, St. Lawrence College
- Christopher Busch, Associate Vice-President, Enrolment Management, University of Windsor
- Isaac Garcia-Sitton, Executive Director, International Student Enrolment, Education and Inclusion, Toronto Metropolitan University
- Vinitha Gengatharan, Assistant Vice-President, Global Engagement & Partnerships, York University
- Kanonhsyonne Janice C. Hill, Associate Vice-Principal (Indigenous Initiatives and Reconciliation), Queen’s University
- Nicole Lacasse, Avocate et Professeure titulaire, Faculté des sciences de l’administration, Université Laval
- Larry Rosia, President and CEO, Saskatchewan Polytechnic
- Carolyn Russell, Associate Vice President International Education, Vancouver Island University
- Janaka Ruwanpura, Vice-Provost and Associate Vice-President Research (International), University of Calgary
- Larissa Strong, Director, Internationalization, St. Francis Xavier University
- Sylvie C.R. Tremblay, Directrice de l’éducation et secrétaire-trésorière, Conseil des écoles publiques de l’Est de l’Ontario