October 18, 2019
Dear LNASP Students,
As a follow-up to our message dated October 10, 2019, we would like to confirm that we have finished processing the Quarter 3 MLA to all eligible students. As a reminder, it can take 5-7 days for funds to begin appearing in your accounts. In the meantime, we would like to take this opportunity to provide you with some additional program updates:
Annual Program Budget
We have received some questions regarding the annual program budget. Therefore we would like to clarify that the transfer of program funds received last week included: Quarter 3, 2019 MLA; tuition for the current Fall 2019 semester and for the upcoming term that will commence in January 2020; continuation of current health insurance plans; funding for close file/graduation tickets; and, funding for eligible reimbursements, such as application/testing fees for ESL students, thesis, and baggage allowance.
Note, however, that funding for Quarter 4, 2019 MLA, and Quarters 1 and 2, 2020 MLA will be sent through separate financial transfers, payable to students upon receipt of funds from Libya.
Financial Support Letters
Our priority at this time is to issue Financial Support Letters for Fall 2019. Academic Managers will let you know when FS Letters for the term commencing in January 2020 will be available.
As a reminder, in order to receive a Fall 2019 Financial Support Letter, you must first provide your CBIE Academic Manager with an official transcript and a completed Annual Progress Report, both of which were due earlier this summer. As well, students are asked to submit your current schedule, noting that full-time registration is required for all students, unless this is your final term of study.
After your Financial Support Letter is issued, please do not make any schedule changes (including adding and/or withdrawing from courses) without written permission from your CBIE Academic Manager. Please also be sure to notify your CBIE Academic Manager immediately if your Fall 2019 courses have been dropped due to program funding delays.
Note that if you were required to pay tuition out of your own pocket for Fall 2019 due to the program funding delays, please proceed in providing your institution with a copy of your Fall 2019 Financial Support Letter so that the original invoice can be sent to CBIE-LNASP for processing, after which you are asked to coordinate directly with your institution to request reimbursement of your original payment.
Reminder to Students in Canada: As mentioned in your Financial Support Letter, if you have not already done so, please be sure to opt out of the university insurance plan.
Annual Book Allowance
Book allowances are scheduled to be processed the week of November 4, 2019 to all eligible students for whom Fall 2019 course schedules have been received. Students in full-time academic studies are eligible to receive an annual book allowance, as follows:
- Bachelor’s students: 4 book allowances
- Master’s students: 2 book allowances
- PhD students: 3 book allowances
Note that ESL students are not eligible to receive a book allowance, unless the book fees are mandatory expenses that are included on the itemized tuition invoice, payable directly to the institution.
Updated Policies and Forms
Please be advised that the Extension Forms and Family Status Forms have been revised to reflect the latest policy updates. You may find the forms at: https://cbie.ca/what-we-do/current-programs/libyan-north-american-scholarship/lnasp-forms/. Specifically, it is important to note the following:
- Extensions must be applied in accordance with the effective date on the decree and cannot be applied retroactively. This applies to both Bachelor’s extensions and MA to PHD extensions.
- Similarly, family status decrees (adding a new baby, for example) must be applied in accordance with the effective date on the decree and cannot be applied retroactively.
As you start a new academic year, we take this opportunity to remind all students that you are expected to maintain good academic standing at your university throughout your studies, which includes passing all required courses and reaching all thesis milestones within the regularly-expected timelines of your academic department and your scholarship. If you are experiencing challenges meeting the demands of academic studies, be it for academic or personal reasons, please reach out to both your university’s international office and your CBIE Academic Manager as soon as difficulties arise.
In closing, we thank all students for the patience and understanding you have shown over the past few weeks and months, and we look forward to continuing to support you as you progress through your studies!
October 10, 2019
Dear LNASP Students and Institutional Partners:
We are writing to share the good news that this afternoon CBIE-LNASP received a transfer of program funds from Libya. We thank the Libyan Ministry of Education, the Libyan Audit Bureau, and the Libyan Central Bank for all of their efforts!
Our immediate priorities will be to process the Quarter 3 Monthly Living Allowance to students and to begin issuing Financial Support Letters to all eligible students for the current Fall 2019 term. The payments for July, August, and September 2019 living allowance will be processed as 3 separate bank transfers throughout the course of the upcoming week, with funds beginning to appear in students’ accounts within 5-7 days after each processing date. However, please keep in mind that the CBIE office and banks will be closed on Monday, October 14, 2019 for the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday. While every effort will be made to expedite the issuance of MLAs and FSLs, we appreciate your ongoing patience over the coming 1-2 weeks while our team carries out these tasks.
In closing, we would like to again express our appreciation to all institutional partners for the flexibility you have provided in allowing students to maintain their Fall 2019 registrations while we awaited the transfer of program funds and for your willingness to waive late fees whenever possible.
We wish all of our host institutions and LNASP students in Canada a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend ahead!
August 28, 2019
Dear LNASP Students and Institutional Partners:
As noted in our August 19, 2019 message, last week the Libyan Ministry transferred the Quarter 2, 2019 Monthly Living Allowance (MLA) budget to CBIE. Receipt of this MLA-specific budget then enabled CBIE to promptly process the April, May, and June 2019 MLAs to all eligible students, which we completed on Friday, August 23, 2019. (Due to bank processing times, funds may appear in students’ accounts up to 5-7 days after each month’s processing date.)
While CBIE has not yet received program funds for 2019/2020 tuition and health insurance expenses, the Ministry has assured CBIE that the transfer is in-process and expected soon.
We are aware that most institutions have already started or soon will be starting Fall 2019 semester. While we remain unable to issue Financial Support Letters guaranteeing tuition and insurance coverage for the Fall 2019 term until the annual program budget is received, we wish to take this opportunity to convey the Ministry’s ongoing commitment to scholarship students in North America. We also wish to assure sponsored students and host institutions that as soon as the annual tuition and insurance funding is received, CBIE-LNASP Academic Managers will immediately begin issuing Financial Support Letters to eligible students.
In the meantime, we appreciate any flexibility that can be provided in extending deadlines so that students are not dropped from their courses and do not fall out of academic and immigration status.
(Note that if you have any questions regarding a students’ scholarship dates/general scholarship eligibility, please feel free to reach out to the CBIE-LNASP Academic Manager assigned to your state/region: https://cbie.ca/what-we-do/current-programs/libyan-north-american-scholarship/contact/.)
We appreciate your understanding and patience given the ongoing challenging circumstances on the ground in Libya, and we look forward to providing you with another update very soon.
August 19, 2019
Dear LNASP Students,
We are very happy to inform you that this afternoon, CBIE received the necessary transfer of funds from the Libyan Ministry, thereby enabling us to begin processing Quarter 2, 2019 MLA to all eligible students.
Similar to previous quarters, the April, May, and June 2019 MLAs will be processed as three separate transfers this week. Depending on the processing time of each students’ bank, you can expect to receive the first deposit in your account in the coming 5 to 7 business days.
We thank the Ministry of Education for its continued support and commitment to Libyan sponsored students in North America.
Note that a separate message will be sent in the coming week with additional program updates.
July 24, 2019
Dear LNASP Students and Institutional Partners,
We are pleased to inform you that today, CBIE and the Libyan Ministry of Education signed a 12 month amending agreement covering the period July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020. We wish to acknowledge the efforts of many individuals and government entities who have worked very hard to make this happen despite ongoing challenging circumstances on the ground in Libya.
We anticipate receipt of the annual program budget within the coming few weeks. Until that time, Financial Support Letters for July 1, 2019 forward remain on-hold, but please be assured that once the required annual program budget has been received, the LNASP staff will promptly begin issuing letters to eligible students to ensure a smooth transition to the start of the new Fall semester.
Please also note that we are continuing to track the transfer of the quarterly MLA budget, which we also anticipate receiving shortly, after which we will move quickly to process April, May, and June MLA to all eligible students.
As new information becomes available regarding the annual program budget, Financial Support Letters for Fall 2019, and Quarter 2 MLA, we will be sure to update you accordingly.
June 27, 2019
Dear LNASP Students and Institutional Partners,
We are writing today to provide you with an update on the Libyan-North American Scholarship Program (LNASP).
As noted in our May 15, 2019 message, CBIE’s current agreement with the Libyan Ministry of Education comes to an end June 30, 2019. However, both parties have expressed a sincere desire and strong commitment to extend the agreement. To accommodate the challenging circumstances on the ground in Libya, CBIE and the Ministry have agreed to a one-month extension of the current agreement, through July 31, 2019, to allow the necessary time to finalize the signing of a new agreement and to transfer the required program funding.
LNASP staff will remain available during the month of July to respond to incoming inquiries from students and institutions, but please note that Financial Support Letters for July 1, 2019 forward for tuition/registration purposes will remain on-hold until such time that a new signed agreement and program funding is in-place.
CBIE values our long-standing relationship with the Libyan Ministry, and our dedicated team looks forward to the opportunity to continue supporting LNASP students in North America. As soon as more information becomes available, we will be sure to provide updates. In the meantime, we appreciate your ongoing patience and understanding.
June 5, 2019
On behalf of CBIE and the Libyan-North American Scholarship Program (LNASP) we would like to wish you and your families an Eid Mubarak. May this occasion be full of blessings and joyous moments.
May 15, 2019
Dear Students and Institutional Partners,
We are pleased to inform you that we have finished processing the Quarter 1, 2019 MLA. As noted in our earlier message, eligible students can expect to receive 3 separate payments in their accounts corresponding to the January, February, and March 2019 MLAs in the coming 5-7 business days, depending on the processing time of each student’s bank.
We would also like to take this opportunity to update you on some important dates and deadlines impacting the Libyan-North American Scholarship Program. As you are all aware, the current agreement between CBIE and the Libyan Ministry of Education covers the period September 1, 2017 – June 30, 2019. However, CBIE and the Ministry are in active discussions regarding a possible extension of the current agreement.
While both parties are working hard to avoid any disruption in services to students and institutional partners, it is important to be aware of the following impact on scholarship benefits in the event that the signed extension agreement and funding are not received before the end of the current agreement period:
- Tuition Fees:In accordance with current Financial Support Letters, we ask that all institutions submit Spring/Summer invoices no later than June 14, 2019to ensure sufficient processing time. Furthermore, as a reminder, currently no Financial Support Letters for Tuition/Registration Purposes can be issued for classes starting July 1, 2019 forward.
- Health Insurance: Please be advised that group and other mandatory health insurance premiums will continue to be covered through June 30, 2019; however, coverage beyond the current agreement end date will be dependent on receipt of a signed extension agreement and transfer of funds.
- Reimbursement and Travel Requests:In order to ensure sufficient processing time, students are required to submit all reimbursement and travel requests no later than June 14, 2019.
- Communication with CBIE: Please be advised that Friday, June 28, 2019will be the last business day that LNASP staff will be available to respond to incoming calls and emails, should a signed extension agreement and program funding not be received by that date.
CBIE remains committed to maintaining frequent and transparent communication with all LNASP students and institutional partners. We encourage you to check the website frequently, where we will continue posting all program updates: www.cbie.ca/libya.
May 10, 2019
We would like to start by wishing you and your families a joyous Ramadan. May this month bring peace, harmony, and happiness for you and your loved ones!
We would also like to take this opportunity to provide you with an update regarding the Quarter 1 MLA. We are pleased to inform you that today CBIE has received the necessary transfer of funds from the Libyan Ministry, thereby enabling us to begin processing Quarter 1, 2019 MLA to all eligible students.
Similar to previous quarters, the January, February, and March MLAs will be processed as three separate transfers starting today and throughout early next week. Depending on the processing time of each students’ bank, you can expect to receive the first deposit in your account in the coming 5 to 7 business days.
We thank the Ministry of Education for its continued support and commitment to Libyan sponsored students in North America, and we wish you all a blessed and peaceful Ramadan!
April 15, 2019
Dear Students and Institutional Partners,
We are writing today to provide you with some important updates regarding the Libyan-North American Scholarship Program (LNASP).
As many of you are aware, CBIE has been administering the LNASP since early 2010. Although our current agreement with the Libyan Ministry of Education will come to an end June 30, 2019, we are in discussions with the Ministry to explore the options and feasibility of continuing our administration of the LNASP beyond this date. However, until such time that an agreement is signed and the associated program funding is transferred, we are not in a position to issue any financial support letters for classes/degree requirements that commence July 1, 2019 or later.
Based on these developments, new language has been added to CBIE’s financial support letters for the upcoming term, specifically to indicate that tuition funding is only available for courses starting in May or June 2019. (In other words, students who are planning to take a class that meets continuously throughout the summer, commencing May/June and finishing in August, will be eligible for a financial support letter; however, students who plan to take a Summer class that starts July 1 or later are not eligible to receive a Financial Support Letter at this time.) As well, in the financial support letters, institutions are asked to submit tuition invoices for May/June classes by June 14, 2019 to ensure sufficient time for processing before the end of the current agreement. Note that CBIE Academic Managers will be following-up directly with students in the coming few weeks regarding the issuance of May/June 2019 Financial Support Letters.
We also wish to take this opportunity to provide a brief update regarding the Monthly Living Allowance (MLA). Despite the many complexities on the ground in Libya at this time, we are diligently working closely with the Libyan authorities regarding the transfer of the Quarter 1 MLA budget. As soon as we are able to confirm receipt of the required budget, we will then be in a position to promptly process the January, February, and March 2019 MLAs to all eligible students.
As a reminder, all updates regarding MLA and the administration of the program beyond June 30, 2019 will be posted on the CBIE-LNASP website at: https://cbie.ca/what-we-do/current-programs/libyan-north-american-scholarship/latest-news/.
February 14, 2019
We are writing today to provide you with some updates and reminders pertaining to LNASP policies and procedures. Specifically, please note the following:
- Academic Updates: As a reminder, all students are required to submit Fall 2018 final grades and Winter/Spring 2019 course schedules directly to your assigned CBIE Academic Managers. It is important to ensure all academic updates are received in a timely manner, so if you have not already done so, please submit the requested information immediately. Scholarship benefits may be temporarily placed on-hold until the academic updates are received.
- Extensions: We would like to take this opportunity to reiterate the following Ministry policies pertaining to extensions.
- Master’s students (36 months) are no longer eligible to apply for extensions. As such, the extension form has been removed from the CBIE-LNASP website.
- Similarly, PhD students in North America are no longer eligible to apply for extensions, and therefore the extension form has been removed from the CBIE-LNASP website. (Note that a decree was circulated recently regarding PhD extensions. We have verified with the Ministry that the decree does not pertain to students in North America, as the PhD period of study was already adjusted to 60/72 months for students in Canada and the United States; whereas in other countries, the PhD period remains 48 months.)
- Bachelor’s students who received a period adjustment are expected to complete ESL and undergraduate studies within the allotted 56 month scholarship period. For those students who will require only one additional term to graduate, please refer to the Bachelor’s extension form on the LNASP website, noting that students must be prepared to self-fund after the 56 month scholarship period ends, as there is no guarantee of approval by the Ministry.
- Eligible Master’s students may apply for an MA to PHD extension utilizing the following MA to PHD extension form, which notes in detail the eligibility criteria that must be met in order for a request to be submitted.
- Ministry of Education’s New Academic Placement Policy: In early 2018, the Ministry announced that scholarship students will be required to gain academic admission to institutions and disciplines that are ranked in the QS Top 300 Worldwide. A copy of the decree can be found on the Ministry of Education’s website. Note that although some exceptions were approved for students in Fall 2018 and Winter/Spring 2019 who were already in North America, the Ministry has clarified that all students seeking admission for May 2019 and forward will be required to gain academic admission to an institution/discipline on the QS Top 300 Worldwide List. Students who are currently seeking academic admission are advised to reach out to your assigned CBIE Academic Manager to request Financial Support Letters for Admission Purposes based on these new regulations.
- Academic Transfers & Changes in Field of Study: In accordance with scholarship policies, we would like to take this opportunity to inform all students that CBIE is not authorized to approve any academic transfers (moving from one institution to another during your academic program), nor is CBIE authorized to approve any changes in the program/field of study specified on your Ministry decree. If there are extenuating circumstances early in your scholarship period that warrant special consideration, a request must be submitted to the Ministry. Students should not change institutions or programs without prior Ministry approval, as CBIE is not authorized to issue a Financial Guarantee Letter to the new institution or program unless specifically approved by the Ministry.
- LNASP Student Policies and Procedures: As a reminder, there is a section of the CBIE-LNASP website devoted to scholarship policies. Specifically, the following links serve as a quick reference to ESL and Academic Students in the United States and Canada.
- Ministry Portal: The Libyan Ministry of Education is now utilizing a new portal system to track scholarship details for all students. The portal is also used by CBIE and Cultural Attaché’s abroad when sending and receiving official Ministry decrees, and the portal can be accessed by scholarship students as well. If you have not already registered, the link to the portal can be found at: https://lsms.ly/#/register.
We hope these reminders and updates have been helpful to you. As always, students are encouraged to reach out to your assigned CBIE Academic Managers for any follow-up questions you may have. For a list of CBIE-Academic Managers by region, please visit the Contact Page of the LNASP website.
January 16, 2019
Dear Students and Institutional Partners,
We are pleased to inform you that today CBIE received authorization from the Libyan Ministry of Education to proceed in paying the Quarter 4, 2018 MLA to all eligible students.
The October 2018 MLA is scheduled to be processed today, followed by the November MLA on Thursday, and the December MLA on Friday.
As always, depending on each bank’s individual processing times, funds typically begin appearing in students’ accounts within 5-7 business days (keeping in mind that banks in the US will be closed on Monday, January 21, 2019 for Martin Luther King Jr. Day).
We thank the Libyan Ministry of Education for authorizing the release of the Quarter 4 MLA, and we wish you all a wonderful start to the New Year!