February 14, 2019
We are writing today to provide you with some updates and reminders pertaining to LNASP policies and procedures. Specifically, please note the following:
- Academic Updates: As a reminder, all students are required to submit Fall 2018 final grades and Winter/Spring 2019 course schedules directly to your assigned CBIE Academic Managers. It is important to ensure all academic updates are received in a timely manner, so if you have not already done so, please submit the requested information immediately. Scholarship benefits may be temporarily placed on-hold until the academic updates are received.
- Extensions: We would like to take this opportunity to reiterate the following Ministry policies pertaining to extensions.
- Master’s students (36 months) are no longer eligible to apply for extensions. As such, the extension form has been removed from the CBIE-LNASP website.
- Similarly, PhD students in North America are no longer eligible to apply for extensions, and therefore the extension form has been removed from the CBIE-LNASP website. (Note that a decree was circulated recently regarding PhD extensions. We have verified with the Ministry that the decree does not pertain to students in North America, as the PhD period of study was already adjusted to 60/72 months for students in Canada and the United States; whereas in other countries, the PhD period remains 48 months.)
- Bachelor’s students who received a period adjustment are expected to complete ESL and undergraduate studies within the allotted 56 month scholarship period. For those students who will require only one additional term to graduate, please refer to the Bachelor’s extension form on the LNASP website, noting that students must be prepared to self-fund after the 56 month scholarship period ends, as there is no guarantee of approval by the Ministry.
- Eligible Master’s students may apply for an MA to PHD extension utilizing the following MA to PHD extension form, which notes in detail the eligibility criteria that must be met in order for a request to be submitted.
- Ministry of Education’s New Academic Placement Policy: In early 2018, the Ministry announced that scholarship students will be required to gain academic admission to institutions and disciplines that are ranked in the QS Top 300 Worldwide. A copy of the decree can be found on the Ministry of Education’s website. Note that although some exceptions were approved for students in Fall 2018 and Winter/Spring 2019 who were already in North America, the Ministry has clarified that all students seeking admission for May 2019 and forward will be required to gain academic admission to an institution/discipline on the QS Top 300 Worldwide List. Students who are currently seeking academic admission are advised to reach out to your assigned CBIE Academic Manager to request Financial Support Letters for Admission Purposes based on these new regulations.
- Academic Transfers & Changes in Field of Study: In accordance with scholarship policies, we would like to take this opportunity to inform all students that CBIE is not authorized to approve any academic transfers (moving from one institution to another during your academic program), nor is CBIE authorized to approve any changes in the program/field of study specified on your Ministry decree. If there are extenuating circumstances early in your scholarship period that warrant special consideration, a request must be submitted to the Ministry. Students should not change institutions or programs without prior Ministry approval, as CBIE is not authorized to issue a Financial Guarantee Letter to the new institution or program unless specifically approved by the Ministry.
- LNASP Student Policies and Procedures: As a reminder, there is a section of the CBIE-LNASP website devoted to scholarship policies. Specifically, the following links serve as a quick reference to ESL and Academic Students in the United States and Canada.
- Ministry Portal: The Libyan Ministry of Education is now utilizing a new portal system to track scholarship details for all students. The portal is also used by CBIE and Cultural Attaché’s abroad when sending and receiving official Ministry decrees, and the portal can be accessed by scholarship students as well. If you have not already registered, the link to the portal can be found at: https://lsms.ly/#/register.
We hope these reminders and updates have been helpful to you. As always, students are encouraged to reach out to your assigned CBIE Academic Managers for any follow-up questions you may have. For a list of CBIE-Academic Managers by region, please visit the Contact Page of the LNASP website.
January 16, 2019
Dear Students and Institutional Partners,
We are pleased to inform you that today CBIE received authorization from the Libyan Ministry of Education to proceed in paying the Quarter 4, 2018 MLA to all eligible students.
The October 2018 MLA is scheduled to be processed today, followed by the November MLA on Thursday, and the December MLA on Friday.
As always, depending on each bank’s individual processing times, funds typically begin appearing in students’ accounts within 5-7 business days (keeping in mind that banks in the US will be closed on Monday, January 21, 2019 for Martin Luther King Jr. Day).
We thank the Libyan Ministry of Education for authorizing the release of the Quarter 4 MLA, and we wish you all a wonderful start to the New Year!