Student Advising – Conseil aux étudiants Professional Learning Community (SACE-PLC) October 2023
Message from the Co-Chairs
This past year, the SACE-PLC Steering Committee focused on the planning and delivery of key themes that arose out of consultation with the community. Our Steering Committee expanded by three members, and it is now comprised of two co-chairs and eight steering committee members, who all volunteer their time to support Student Advisors across Canada.
Equipped with your contributions, the steering committee created events which covered most key topics over the year. We looked within the community to find the expertise of our colleagues to deliver sessions. Involving our members in discussions and presentations contributes to the objectives of the PLC. We have to say, it was an amazing year that saw the delivery of twelve sessions. Our events, including our SACE PLC Breakfast at CBIE2023, gave us the opportunity to connect and meet many of our colleagues from across Canada.
For 2024, we will continue to work on offering more events which give our members the opportunity to build capacity through knowledge-sharing. We will continue to look to the PLC community to be SACE Presents guest speakers and for direction on topics you want to learn about. If you worked on a project or initiative that you are passionate about or have experience with a specific topic of interest for our members, please reach out to us. We would love to have you as a guest at one of our upcoming events.
It has been an honour for the steering committee to serve our community.
With deepest gratitude,
Ima and Shanda
- Facilitate the role of student advising professionals at educational institutions across Canada.
- Promote an effective support network and forum of discussion amongst student advising professionals.
- Speak on behalf of the international student support professionals and their institutions for the purpose of providing information to CBIE that supports its advocacy efforts.
The mission of the PLC is to share knowledge, organize projects and activities, and enhance the competencies of student advising professionals at educational institutions across Canada, while supporting CBIE’s mission.
- Establishing tools and resources that encourage the free exchange of ideas and information between professionals involved with international student support at different institutions.
- Encouraging the sharing of resources and best practices within the PLC community.
- Developing and promoting education and training for student advising professionals.
- Supporting research activities in the field of international student support and advising.
- Identifying and working to address the needs of those providing international student advising and support at our respective institutions.
International Student Services,
University of Lethbridge
International Student Specialist,
University of Alberta
International Academic Advising,
Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
Conseillère aux étudiants de l ‘international,
International Student Immigration Specialist,
International Transitions Advisor,
University of British Columbia
Director of Student Experience
Mount Allison University
International Student Success,
International Student Advisor and Immigration Specialist,
Overview of Membership
From 527 members in 2022, the SACE membership has steadily increased, with 90 new members joining in the past year.
Members by Province/Territory
Events & Initiatives
welcomed guest speakers
welcomed guest speakers from senior leadership positions, industry and academia
hosted a networking breakfast
hosted a networking breakfast at CBIE2022
The SACE Steering Committee thanks all our guest speakers who made our events possible this year. Thank you to our members for your contributions and participation.
Thank you to the amazing CBIE staff, especially Sophie Jodouin and Melissa Payne, for their continuous assistance and encouragement. A special thanks to Larissa Bezo for your support.
A special thank you to the steering committee members whose work is invaluable in moving the PLC forward.
A heartfelt thank you to everyone.
Ima and Shanda