International Students and Their Families:
Supporting Spouses and Common-Law Partners


This webinar is approved for 1 hour of CPD by ICCRC.

Many international students have family members that accompany them to Canada. This webinar will focus on the immigration processes required for international students’ spouses and common-law partners, in particular. Through a review of IRCC policies and recent updates, standard application procedures, and common scenarios faced by international student advisors, the presenters will discuss challenges associated with these application types and how advisors can help applicants navigate them.

Upon completion of this webinar, participants should be able to:

  • Explain options for completing an application for a Temporary Resident Visa or Open Work Permit from outside of Canada;
  • Support an international student’s spouse/common-law partner to apply for an Open Work Permit from inside Canada; and
  • Help an international student graduate maintain or change their spouse’s/partner’s visitor or worker status when transitioning to a post-graduation work permit.


John Fleming, RISIA, Conestoga College

John Fleming currently works as a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor (RISIA) at Conestoga College in Kitchener, Ontario.  Previously, John was employed at a private secondary boarding school for international students as a post-secondary education counsellor.

Matthew McDonald, RCIC, Humber College

Matthew McDonald is a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC), who currently works as an international student advisor at Humber College and as an independent immigration consultant. Over the past eight years, Matthew has worked in international education both in Canada (Manitoba, Ontario) and abroad (France, Macedonia). His roles have included college admissions counselling, teaching, recruitment, and marketing.