Survey Definitions

For the purposes of this survey, the following definitions will be used for counting experiences.

Learning Abroad

For this survey, learning abroad is defined as an institution-sanctioned learning experience that occurs outside Canada and the participant’s Canadian institution, either physically or virtually, during their studies. Examples include but are not limited to for-credit and not-for-credit exchange programs, work abroad, volunteering, or international research driven by learning outcomes and officially sanctioned by the participant’s Canadian academic institution.

Categories of Learning Abroad Activities

Exchange Program: A program of study whereby partner institutions establish a reciprocal agreement that enables students to pay tuition at their home institution and to register and study (physically or virtually) at the host/partner institution outside Canada, typically with (but not limited to) credit transferred back to the home institution in Canada.

Work-Integrated Learning: A form of curricular experiential education that formally integrates a student’s academic studies with quality experiences within a workplace or practice setting. Such experiences (physical or virtual) can include and are not limited to activities abroad such as co-ops, internships, practicums, clinical placements, service learning, or field placements.

Faculty/Instructor-Led Program:  Learning abroad activities involving groups of students under the supervision of a home institution instructor and/or faculty member. Such experiences (physical or virtual) can include but are not limited to international field school, study trips or collaborative online intercultural/international learning (COIL).

Research/Fieldwork Abroad: Experiences (physical or virtual) include various types of research projects or field work carried out by students. Such research normally contributes to or results in the writing of an academic paper or article to fulfill academic credit or other degree requirements. The research/field work may be undertaken as part of a research-based course or independent project, or in a completely independent manner outside the structure of a program, but still approved by your post-secondary educational institution.

Other: Any learning abroad activity (physical or virtual) that your institution tracks but does not fit in the categories listed above. Activities could include non-credit-granting programs, independent study abroad (letter of permission), volunteer or service learning, learning abroad through an approved third-party, student case competitions, conference participation or study tours.