May 23, 2017
Dear Students and Institutional Partners:
We are pleased to inform you that today we received authorization from the Ministry to proceed in paying the Quarter 1 MLA to all eligible students.
Therefore, this message is to confirm that we have begun preparing the Quarter 1 MLA for processing payments to all eligible students, and funds will begin to appear in students’ accounts in the coming few business days, depending on each individual bank’s processing times. As usual, the January, February and March 2017 MLAs will be transferred via separate payments to students.
We appreciate your patience and understanding throughout this delay period and hope that this good news provides some relief to you and your families at this time.
May 11, 2017
Dear Students and Institutional Partners:
We are writing today to provide you with some important updates on key issues impacting the Libyan-North American Scholarship Program (LNASP):
- Tuition Processing: As the term comes to an end, we wish to take this opportunity to remind institutions that if you have not already done so, kindly submit all eligible itemized Spring 2017 tuition invoices to: email@example.com (institutions in Canada) or firstname.lastname@example.org (institutions in the US). The estimated processing time is currently 1-3 weeks from receipt of invoice. Inquiries regarding any outstanding invoices may be sent to the previously-mentioned email accounts.
- Summer 2017 Financial Support Letters: Students who have valid scholarship time remaining may now request Financial Support Letters from their LNASP Academic Managers for the Summer 2017 session. Based on CBIE’s current contract and the program’s available funds, we will continue the timely processing of eligible tuition fees throughout the Summer 2017 term.
- Fall 2017 Financial Support Letters: Please be advised that at this time, CBIE is unable to issue any Fall 2017 Financial Support Letters for tuition/registration purposes until more information is known regarding the administration of the LNASP beyond August 31, 2017 (the end of the current agreement between the Ministry and CBIE).
- Annual Academic Progress Reports: In the coming few weeks, as part of CBIE’s mandate to track the academic progress of LNASP students, we will distribute the 2016/2017 annual academic progress report. Students enrolled in academic studies and their university advisors/thesis supervisors will be asked to contribute to the reports, and all students will also be required to request an official transcript to be sent to CBIE. More details will follow via email from our team of LNASP Academic Managers.
- Quarter 1 Monthly Living Allowance: This week CBIE received the Quarter 1 MLA list from the Scholarships Department. However, we have not yet received the Quarter 1 MLA funds for the period January to March 2017. We continue to follow-up with the Ministry on a regular basis and will be sure to provide all students with an update as soon as more information becomes available.
- Recent Meeting with the Ministry: With the end date of the current contract between the Ministry of Education and CBIE approaching later this summer, CBIE recently met with designated Ministry committee members to provide an update on the LNASP, including an overview of the many student and program successes, as well as a summary of some of the main challenges impacting the program, such as ongoing MLA delays and gaps in health insurance coverage. We will continue to coordinate and liaise with the Ministry to provide any additional information that may be required in the ongoing discussions pertaining to the future administration of the LNASP (beyond August 31, 2017).
Throughout the summer, students and institutions are encouraged to periodically check our website ( www.cbie.ca/libya), where all essential news and information pertaining to the LNASP will be posted.
March 23, 2017
Dear Institutional Partners and LNASP Students:
As a follow-up to our March 20, 2017 message, we would like to confirm that CBIE has finished processing the October, November and December 2016 MLAs to all eligible students. The funds have been released to students’ financial institutions and are expected to be deposited in students’ accounts over the coming few business days, depending on the processing time of each bank.
Also, as noted in previous messages, on November 21, 2016, CBIE submitted the required budget requests to the Ministry for all quarterly MLAs for 2017 (Q1, Q2, and Q3). As soon as we have any updates to share regarding the transfer of these quarterly budgets, we will inform students accordingly.
We appreciate your patience and understanding throughout this delay period.
March 20, 2017
We are writing to confirm that the LNASP received the Quarter 4 MLA funds at the end of business day Friday, March 17, 2017. Therefore the October 2016 MLA was processed to all eligible students this morning, Monday, March 20, 2017. Funds are expected to begin appearing in students’ accounts in the coming few business days, depending on each individual bank’s processing times. The November 2016 MLAs will be transferred later today and December 2016 MLAs will be transferred in separate payments tomorrow Tuesday, March 21, 2017.
As a kind reminder, please note that students should refer to the CBIE website for all official MLA and program updates.
March 15, 2017
Dear Students and Institutional Partners,
As a follow-up to our message dated March 9, 2017, we are writing to inform you that today we received confirmation from the Libyan Central Bank that they have processed the Quarter 4, 2016 Monthly Living Allowance budget. We expect the actual funds to be transferred to the Libyan North American Scholarship Program’s account this coming Friday, March 17th, at which time we will immediately begin sending Quarter 4 MLAs to all eligible students.
We would like to thank the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Finance, the Audit Bureau, and the Libyan Central Bank for their support in sending the required Quarter 4 MLA budget.
March 9, 2017
CBIE is writing to provide you with an update on the status of the Q4 MLA transfer from Libya. As noted in our February 16th message, CBIE is prepared to promptly process the October, November, and December 2016 MLAs to all eligible students as soon as the funds are received. In that regard, we would like to inform you that we continue to follow-up with the Scholarships Department and the Central Bank of Libya, who are coordinating with the Ministry of Education, Ministry of Finance, and the Audit Bureau, and we have been assured that the funds are expected to be transferred to CBIE very soon. We will notify students as soon as the funds are received, at which time we will begin processing Q4 MLA payments to all eligible students.
CBIE would also like to take this opportunity to remind students of our message dated November 29, 2016, which confirmed that on November 21, 2016, we submitted the required budget requests to the Ministry for the Quarter 1, 2, and 3 2017 MLA budgets. As soon as we have any updates to share regarding Quarter 4 or the 2017 quarterly MLA budgets, we will inform students accordingly. Also, for students in the U.S., kindly note that we have not yet received instructions from the Ministry of Education regarding health insurance in the U.S., and we continue to coordinate with them in this regard.
February 16, 2017
Dear Students and Institutional Partners,
CBIE is writing to confirm that we recently received the official 2016 Quarter 4 MLA list; however, we continue to wait for the transfer of funds from Libya. We have uploaded all the required information to our database in order to ensure we are ready to process payments to eligible students as soon as the Quarter 4 budget is received. We will update all students as soon as new information regarding the transfer of Q4 MLA funds becomes available.
January 30, 2017
Dear Students and Institutional Partners in the United States,
Today CBIE has released a press release expressing our concern over the recent executive order issued on Friday, January 27, 2017 imposing a 90-day ban on entry to the U.S. for citizens of 7 countries, including Libya. A copy of the CBIE press release can be found on our website at: http://cbie.ca/canadian-bureau-international-education-cbie-expresses-concern-u-s-executive-order/.
According to DHS’ interpretation of the order and our understanding of the situation, for the next 90 days, nearly all travelers, except U.S. citizens, traveling on passports from affected countries, including Libya, will be temporarily suspended from entry to the United States. For LNASP students, this means that if you currently hold an F1 student visa and are planning to depart the U.S., you risk not being granted entry back to the U.S. during this 90 day period. Consequently, we advise our students to consult closely with their International Student Advisors on-campus before making any plans to travel overseas.
Additionally, for LNASP sponsored students who are currently in Libya preparing to travel to the U.S., please keep your CBIE Academic Manager and your university International Student Advisor informed regarding changes in your travel plans resulting from the recently issued executive order.
We will continue following-up on this important issue and encourage all students impacted by the ban to stay in close communication with their university International Student Office and their CBIE Academic Managers.