This is a two-step process. Candidates must first apply to the Brazilian government for CsF scholarships. CBIE then invites pre-selected candidates to submit an application and will attempt to place them at a Canadian university in their field of study.
Pre Selection in brazil
You must first be pre-selected by the Government of Brazil through a call from CNPq or CAPES. For more information on how this works, please consult the available information on the Brazilian selection process on the Brazilian Ciência sem Fronteiras website.
Once you have successfully completed your application to CNPq or CAPES and have been awarded a scholarship, you will receive an invitation from CBIE to apply to Canadian universities. If you do not receive this email within 3-4 business days of receiving your confirmation of your pre-approval, check your SPAM box. This invitation will include a password, allowing you to access the protected online application form. You will have a minimum of five (5) days to complete the application form. We encourage you to get started as soon as you receive CBIE’s invitation to apply to Canadian universities, as you may have questions that will delay your process.
N.B.: Late or incomplete applications will not be considered for admission. Pre-selected students should ensure that all supporting documents are received by the deadline.
Applying to a Canadian University
When completing the application form, you may choose up to three different universities that you would like to attend in Canada. CBIE will respect applicants’ preferences, but cannot guarantee placement at the selected institutions.
Before proceeding to complete the online application form:
- Have electronic versions (.pdf format) of the requested supporting documents ready to upload to the online application form (see supporting document section below for complete listing)
- Verify the data prior to submission and check the permission box
When completing the online application form:
- Enter the information directly into the field or copy and paste it from another source
- When done, make sure that you click SUBMIT for the online application. A confirmation page and reference number will appear after submission
- Before submitting the application to Canadian universities, candidates will be able to save a hard copy of their application by using the print function in their browser
After you have completed and submitted the online application form:
- Make arrangements to have the requested documents submitted directly to CBIE according to specifications
When you are completing the online application form, you will be prompted to upload the following documents in .pdf format:
- Original academic transcripts in Portuguese
- Academic transcript in English or French (certified) **
- Language proficiency results (English or French)
- Copy of valid passport or of an official document showing you have requested a passport. N.B.: if your passport expires sooner than six months after the anticipated date of return to Brazil, you must apply for a new one
- Signed and dated consent form
** Signed and stamped by an official translator or by the student’s Brazilian university.
Proof of language proficiency
- The following tests are accepted for English proficiency: TOEFL, IELTS and CAEL.
- The following tests are accepted for French proficiency: DELF, DALF and Alliance française.
- All online applications received by the deadline will be assessed by CBIE.CBIE will submit applications to Canadian institutions on behalf of candidates and may communicate with the candidate should further information be required by a Canadian university.All applications will be considered on a merit basis in combination with language proficiency.
- Successful candidates will be notified of their placements by host universities through a letter of acceptance.
- The call for applications for a CsF scholarship to begin in the Fall 2015 Semester (September to December) is now opened. The deadline for submitting an application was September 30, 2014.Here is the direct link to the call for Canada.Call announcements are made on the Brazilian Ciência sem Fronteiras website. Please visit this site regularly for program updates.Always keep in mind that late or incomplete applications will not be considered for admission. For complete details on the application process, click here.