OCTOBER 20-22, 2016 | KHARKIV, UKRAINE
Further to the Contribution Agreement between the Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE) and the Government of Canada pertaining to the implementation of the Quality and Accessible Legal Aid (QALA) Project, CBIE is inviting all interested member representatives to submit case studies for presentation at our International Conference on Legal Empowerment, taking place October 20-22, 2016 in Kharkiv, Ukraine.
The key objectives of the Conference are to introduce and raise awareness of the concept of legal empowerment; establish the relevance of legal aid empowerment within the Ukrainian context; identify critical “enablers” for legal empowerment; and share innovative and practical case studies to inform future policy/programming from the perspectives of legislative/policy, local self-government, law society, civil society and non-governmental organization, and legal aid system design.
The case studies will focus on the following themes related to legal empowerment:
- Participation of citizens in self-governance;
- Advancing anti-corruption and integrity;
- Alternative dispute resolution (i.e. negotiation, mediation, counselling, etc.);
- Working with vulnerable groups (i.e. persons with disabilities, victims of domestic violence, refugees, war veterans, orphaned children, internally displaced persons, etc.);
- Alternative legal aid service delivery (i.e. lawyers vs. non-lawyers);
- Good practices and innovative approaches towards enabling legal empowerment;
- Roles of stakeholders in legal empowerment;
- Measuring progress in legal empowerment;
- Methods to assess legal empowerment needs; and
- Role of information technology in legal empowerment.
Case study guidelines
Case studies should be submitted via e-mail to Tatiana Wojtan (email@example.com) no later than 12:00 PM, Friday, May 6, 2016.
The case study should be maximum of 2 pages in length and offer a narrative of:
The prospective presenter’s role and responsibility within the institution;
A description of the challenge (from the local community perspective);
The methods/approaches used to address the challenge;
The results achieved (both intended and unintended/unanticipated), including the impact on all stakeholders;
The evidence (yes/no) of replicability of the method/approach employed.
Terms and conditions of submission
- Submissions not adhering to the guidelines will not be considered;
- Co-authored submissions must nominate which of the authors would present;
- All submissions will be reviewed and assessed by the Conference Selection Committee by May 20, 2016;
- Successful submissions will be selected on the basis of relevance and closest proximity and suitability to the themes of the conference;
- Selected presenters will not be compensated for their presentations – participation in the Conference is on a voluntary basis;
- Travel costs related to the participation in the Conference in Ukraine, with the exception of travel health insurance, will be arranged for and covered by the QALA Project in line with the
- Treasury Board of Canada Travel Guidelines.
- All presenters are responsible for arranging and covering the cost of their individual travel health insurance. Individuals selected to present at the Conference will be required to provide
- CBIE with proof of insurance prior to departure for Ukraine in the fall of 2016.
- The Quality and Accessible Legal Aid (QALA) Project Ukraine is a 5-year technical assistance project funded by Global Affairs Canada and implemented by the Canadian Bureau for
- International Education (CBIE) in cooperation with the Coordination Centre for Legal Aid Provision (CCLAP) under the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine.
The project, valued at $12.7M, is intended to contribute to increasing equitable access to justice for all Ukrainians through quality legal aid for women and men across Ukraine, in particular individuals from marginalized groups.
CBIE’s technical support focuses on building human resources and systems capacity to ensure the proper delivery and monitoring of quality legal aid se